Monday, March 16, 2015

SNOWED IN ROUND 2


Sister G and Sister Renda

Hello - sounds like the sun is shinning over there and Spring has arrived. Lucy even told me that she got a sunburn this week! We just happen to be buried in 3 feet of snow here...They call it a nor'easter. Basically it is an insane blizzard that apparently comes in the middle of March?? I'm not sure the snow will ever disappear. So sadly, church was cancelled yesterday. We were storm-stayed in our apartment ALL DAY. 

With three companions it was even more fun!! Sister Curtis arrived safely on Thursday morning. I love her. We were reminiscing on the good old days of the MTC, spilling milk all over my bright blue dress, walking to the temple, studying for what seemed like 14 hours every day, playing basketball or watching in my case. I miss it!! She is a great addition to our companionship. Sister Renda and I made her go running with us..she'll learn to love it eventually...hopefully. She is a good sport! 

We took some extra study time which I was really grateful for. Then we worked on our "My Family" booklets. I wrote down some of my memories of Dad calling us loudly to scripture study every morning and blasting his "Earth, Wind and Fire" CD on the way to and from our soccer games. I miss that. And mom ordering her meal at the drive-through window "to-go" and laughing so hard that we cry. Family History is the best!! We did phonebook contacting which actually proved to be a success. We received and contacted a referral. Set up two lessons and got 31 contacts!! People in Amherst are actually very friendly on the phone :) It was an exhausting, awesome day! Like President always says "we cannot be stopped!!"

Tomorrow Sister Renda and I are driving to Truro for an all day long, mission wide leadership meeting! Our mission is quite young now and President feels strongly that he needs to train each of us to be better, more effective leaders. I am excited. I know it will be an incredible, learning opportunity. I am looking forward to the Spirit that will be there. President is even flying the Newfoundland missionaries in so this is a big deal!! 

We taught Jeremy on Monday and Tuesday and then he wasn't there for our lesson on Wednesday. He disappeared and we have not been able to make contact with him since. We were also having a Facebook fast so we couldn't get a hold of him that way. We stopped by and called several times. Eventually we were able to talk to his mom who told us that he had gone out of town. We are praying that we will be able to resume teaching him as soon as he returns. Walter is doing so well! We are going to start team-teaching him with the elders. He has been reading the Book of Mormon every day! Unfortunately, since church was cancelled yesterday, we are going to have to push his baptismal date back but I have full confidence in him and in Heavenly Father. Everything will work out. 

I was feeling a little bit down this week due to several different things but yesterday when I was studying the Relief Society lesson from the teachings of the Prophet Ezra Taft Benson, I learned several things that brought me great peace. The chapter focused solely on Jesus Christ, our Savior and Redeemer.

"Only Jesus Christ is uniquely qualified to provide that hope, that confidence, and that strength we need to overcome the world and rise above our human failings. To do so, we must place our faith in Him and live by His laws and teachings. …

Faith in Him is more than mere acknowledgment that He lives. It is more than professing belief.

Faith in Jesus Christ consists of complete reliance on Him. As God, He has infinite power, intelligence, and love. There is no human problem beyond His capacity to solve. Because He descended below all things (see D&C 122:8), He knows how to help us rise above our daily difficulties.

[Those who are] captained by Christ will be consumed in Christ. … Their will is swallowed up in His will. (See John 5:30.) They do always those things that please the Lord. (See John 8:29.) Not only would they die for the Lord, but, more important, they want to live for Him." 

When we turn out and remember our Savior. When we think of others rather than ourselves, that is when we find joy, and peace. Christ is the reason!! He is everything to me and I am so grateful for His Atonement - the greatest act of love in all human history. I know that He can give us rest. I know that we must remain valiant in our testimony of Him and that we must share it with others. I know that it is so important for each of us to be willing to LIVE for Him!! Every day. Have faith that He will lead you safely home. 

I love you all. Mom, good luck with your gift show! I know it will be a great success. You are my hero. HAPPY BIRTHDAY LUCY!!! Thank you for being the best little sister anyone could ask for. You are a light in my life. I am thankful for your strength. I am grateful for your testimony! I can't believe you are 18 - stop growing up so fast! I love you!!

Have a happy week!
Love, Sister G

Throwback to the MTC pictures!

 

There are a lot of cars stuck in snow..

No comments:

Post a Comment