Monday, September 29, 2014

You May Rescue, You May Save...

HELLO FROM THE ISLAND  
PRINCE EDWARD ISLAND - PEI!!
It sure is beautiful here, we walk along the boardwalk everyday to talk to people and not even 15 feet away is the ocean. 

There are lighthouses all along the shore and off in the distance. 

The weather welcomed me warmly. 

It has been the most perfect past few days but I think winter is approaching quickly - today is cold. 

Leaving New Glasgow was sad and happy and crazy and stressful and busy. 

LUCKILY the vacuum bags allowed me to fit everything in my suitcases YAY!! Thursday morning we got up at 5 and left an hour later to be in Truro an hour after that. There, I said goodbye to my old district and Sister Christensen and hopped on the transfer van. We drove another 2 1/2 hours to Moncton, New Brunswick where we met at the church with lots of other missionaries. 
            Some coming - wide eyes and ready, 
            Some going home - entirely anxious and unsure .. 
            It's wonderful to see the change that occurs after the time we spend here. It's fascinating to recognize the Spiritual strength and knowledge that we can gain as we give our hearts to God entirely for 18 or 24 months of our lives. I am thankful that I still have 9 more months to learn!!!! 

After saying goodbye to some incredible people I got in a car with a new missionary (going to serve with SISTER LEWIS - yes I got to see her, I was so happy I could have exploded!!!!!!) and we drove another 1 1/2 hours to Charlottetown. 

On the way we crossed one of the longest bridges in the world - it took us 15 minutes - 
SO COOL!!! After I dropped off the new missionary, Sister Dougherty and I drove our last hour back to Summerside. SOO that was a long and exhausting day but I made it and am sooo happy to be here. 

We immediately went out to work. 

We went knocking and met some friendly people and some intoxicated ones. 

We had sports night with the branch and played capture the flag - I AM OUT OF SHAPE!! It was hard to run..but I loved it. 

Later we taught a lesson to a less active member who has been through so much in her life but has such a strong desire to attend the temple. The sisters had just started the stop smoking program with her and she was working so hard and doing so well. Debbie is willing to do whatever it takes to make it to the temple. She doesn't understand fully why but she is certain that she needs to be there - and she is right. Everything that she has been through will all be worth it to step into that beautiful building and feel the blessings of Heaven and God's love so close, so real.

Yesterday I got to meet the branch. It is even smaller then New Glasgow but the Spirit is just the same. I was able to bear my testimony and I told about Moroni 9:6 where Mormon is telling Moroni that despite the faithlessness of their brethren and their wickedness - Moroni must be diligent because the Lord had a work for him to do and he might not see the impact he would have then but the Lord sees and knows all things. Verse 6 says 

"And now, my beloved son, notwithstanding their hardness, let us labor diligently; 
for if we should cease to labor, we should be brought under condemnation; 
for we have a labor to perform whilst in this tabernacle of clay, 
that we may conquer the enemy of all righteousness, 
and rest our souls in the kingdom of God." 

I think that is so applicable to us. Now is the time for us to labor diligently. To thrust in our sickle with our might despite the people of the world who may try and drag us down because we have the truth and we have to diligently do all that we can to help Heavenly Father in this work - the work of salvation. To love others. And help them and ourselves make it back HOME to Him. 

My favorite hymn is "Brightly Beams Our Father Mercy" I love the lines - 
"But to us He gives the keeping, 
of the lights along the shore." 
"You may rescue, you may save." 
God has given us charge over our brothers and sisters here on the earth. 
We must be lighthouses to them. 
We must shine in the darkness of their trials and their mistakes. 
We must walk with them and invite them and strengthen them. 
Because truly every soul is great in the sight if God. He trusts us to keep them and help them.. I always love to refer back to the poem I received from my cute MA ad PA on trek. 

Make A Difference 
 "Once upon a time, there was a wise man who used to go to the ocean to do his writing. He had a habit of walking on the beach before he began his work. One day, as he was walking along the shore, he looked down the beach and saw a human figure moving like a dancer. He smiled to himself at the thought of someone who would dance to the day, and so, he walked faster to catch up. as he got closer, he noticed that the figure was that of a young man and that what he was doing was not dancing at all. The young man was reaching down to the shore, picking up small objects and throwing them into the ocean. He came closer still and called out " Good morning! May I ask what it is that you are going?" The young man paused, looked up, and replied "Throwing starfish into the ocean". "I must ask then, why are you throwing starfish into the ocean?" asked the somewhat startled wise man. To this, the young man replied, "The sun is up and the tide is going out. If I don't throw them in they will die." Upon hearing this, the wise man commented, "But young man, do you not realize that there are miles and miles of beach and there are starfish all along every mile? You can't possibly make a difference!" At this, the young man bent down, picked up yet another starfish and threw it into the ocean. As it met the water, he said. "I made a difference to that one!"

We can make a difference. We really can and we must. 
Stand strong. 
Be a light. 
Be kind and remember that no matter how small or insignificant you may feel. 
God loves you and needs you. 
You can be the difference in the lives of many - believe that and act upon it.

I love all of you so so much. I am thankful for your examples. You strengthen me and help me every day. 
Love you. And miss you. 

Love, Sister G, still closer to the sea :)

PS: Thank you soo much grandma and grandpa for the generous and beautiful birthday card. I love you both. 
PPS: Sorry I don't have time to send pictures but I will send a ton of cute ones next week......;) xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment