Monday, January 26, 2015

THIS IS WHERE I BELONG

Good morning sunshine(s), I am so happy to hear from all of you. I hope you have had a good week!! Yes we are bracing for the storm..the winter has been so unusual and pleasant so far but I am afraid that that will all change this week - SCARY!! :)

First I want to wish Dad a HAPPY BIRTHDAY on Thursday! I hope you know how much I love you. You never waver - you always know what to say and how to say it. You have taught me to love life and learning. To believe in myself and to trust in God. I am grateful for the way that you honor your Priesthood, the way you magnify your calling, the way you love mom and the unfailing support and opportunities you have provided for me, ralph, will, lucy and jake. Thank you for praying for me and for doing your part as a member missionary. You are changing peoples lives. I love you to the moon and back dad. I hope you have the best day. 


So the transfer is drawing to a close and I found out that I get to stay in Amherst!! I am grateful - I really do feel like this is where I belong (for now anyway:)) but Sister Coleman has been transferred to Newfoundland so i am getting a new companion! Her name is Sister Renda, she is from Utah and very sweet. She seems like a hard worker. I think she even went to Utah State - go aggies! She is an amazing violinist and I am looking forward to serving with her. 

We had a really great week. It seems like we are beginning to see some of the fruits of our labors. It is incredible. These are some of the miracles we witnessed. 

1. One night we went knocking and every single person answered their door!!! Not everyone was interested but at least we got to talk to them! We knew that we were meant to be there. 

2. Melinda is a member who has recently started coming back to church and while we were visiting her, her friend Walter showed up (who she had invited to a branch activity the week before - he loved it) and we asked him if he would be interested in learning about the church. He agreed!!! So we are going to teach him this week. 

3. Sister Coleman and I were asked to present a family history workshop to the genealogical society of Amherst. We were to teach them how to use familysearch.org, the features and all that it offers, etc. I am sad to report that before my mission I was completely oblivious to family history and did not do my part. On my mission i have learned more but we are not given much time to do family history so my knowledge is still VERY limited. The meeting that we went to was the most official meeting I have ever attended. People had to call the meeting to order and approve the agenda and "second that approval" - and so on..There were 18 experienced genealogists there and I was to teach them how to use our website!!!!!!!!!!!! That was definitely the most intimidating thing i have ever had to do in my life. Luckily, Sister Coleman knows much more than i do and we were able to do some research in advance. Plus, we prayed really hard and Heavenly Father helped us answer the really hard questions that they asked. It was a good experience. Oh how the mission helps us grow!! It was truly a miracle that we made it through and in the end they were very pleased with our presentation! 

As I have reflected on the past transfer I had this thought - we as humans often have such a limited perspective. We don't see too far ahead of our present circumstances, however, this transfer has taught me that even if we can't see the outcome of our striving to help build and lift and strengthen those around us. Our striving to become better, more useful instruments - GOD CAN. When we are patient, God will reward us. After all, 

"[His] thoughts are not [our] thoughts, neither are [our] ways [His] ways.." The Lord tells us, "For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts." (Isaiah 55:8-9) 

That is why it is so important that we move forward with faith, that we do the right things for the right reasons and that we patiently wait for the promises of God to be fulfilled. Because they will be. I am grateful to know that.

Thank you for being the best family in the world. I love you SO much! 
Grace and Jeff Homecoming her Sophmore year 2010
You make me happy.
Love, Sister G 

No comments:

Post a Comment