Monday, April 20, 2015

"Do you love me?"

SOoo this is it..I'm leaving Amherst. 

I have been transferred to Greenwood, Nova Scotia. It has only been opened for sisters for 1 transfer so I really know nothing about it. It's in the valley which is beautiful. There is a small branch there. A military base..and I'll find out what else on Thursday. I have been released as a Sister Training Leader and am excited to get back to regular missionary work!! My companion will be Sister Tegge!! My OTHER MTC companion!! We were just really meant to be together :)

Yesterday, Walter, Jeremy, and Connor received the Priesthood. Next week they will be able to pass the sacrament!! I was invited to bear my testimony in sacrament meeting. It was a sweet moment for me. It made my heart ache a little when I looked at the teary eyes of the members I have grown to love so much. They really are amazing people. It's hard to say goodbye but what a blessing to have had these experiences. To have met these people who will remain in my heart forever. I'll miss the Pettigrew's two little chubby dogs who remind me so much of Duke. I'll miss dinner with Debi every Tuesday. I'll miss our apartment which is the "Taj Mahal" of apartments. Our neighbors who tease us about everything. Teaching our one student, Marissa, in seminary. I'll miss the snow. The church bells that ring so loudly downtown. And so much more. But change is good. There are always GOOD things to come in the gospel of Jesus Christ. "The Lord has a plan for us in this life. He knows us. He knows what is best for us. Just because things are going well does not mean that we should not from time to time consider whether there might be something better." (Carlos A. Godoy)

Our "hour of power" has been going well. We are working on NOT "taking the Book of Mormon lightly" so we have been sharing the Restoration pamphlet and teaching about the first vision with those we meet. It is amazing to me the Spirit that is present when we bear testimony of that sacred day in the grove. How fortunate we are to have the RESTORED TRUTH that is contained in the Book of Mormon, all because Joseph Smith decided to kneel down and ask God a simple, heartfelt question. 

This week we listened to my all time favorite talk "The First Great Commandment" by Elder Holland. It is so powerful. Elder Holland recounts the moment when Christ asks Peter three times "Do you love me?" and then teaches him to "feed His sheep." 

This is what stood out to me this time - "My beloved brothers and sisters, I am not certain just what our experience will be on Judgment Day, but I will be very surprised if at some point in that conversation, God does not ask us exactly what Christ asked Peter: “Did you love me?” I think He will want to know if in our very mortal, very inadequate, and sometimes childish grasp of things, did we at least understand one commandment, the first and greatest commandment of them all—“Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind.”13 And if at such a moment we can stammer out, “Yea, Lord, thou knowest that I love thee,” then He may remind us that the crowning characteristic of love is always loyalty." 

I hope the way I live truly reflects my love for my Savior. When that day comes I hope He will know that I love Him because I was loyal to Him every day of my life - even when it was hard. 

I love you!!! I hope you have a great week. 
Love, Sister G 

Pictures -
The sugar woods :) I'm sending you home some maple butter!! 










No comments:

Post a Comment